1. Sleep on a silk pillowcase or in a silk turban to avoid waking up with dry, frizzy and tangled hair. The smooth slippery texture of silk reduces hair damage caused by friction from tossing and turning at night.
2. Wear protective hairstyles such as buns, braids, and french rolls that shield your hair from tangling, breakage, and other damage caused by physical and environmental stressors.
3. Detangle using a gentle detangling brush and detangling spray, never tugging or pulling
4. Brush your hair daily using a boar bristle brush starting from roots to ends, evenly distributing your scalp’s natural oils throughout your hair to coat the entire length. The boar bristle brush helps clean and remove excess oils at the roots and naturally conditions your hair.
5. Massage your scalp daily with a gentle scalp massager to stimulate blood flow and unclog hair follicles.
6. Avoid heat styling such as blow drying, straightening, and curling, and harsh chemicals such as bleach, dye, hairspray and gel as they will result in overprocessed, damaged hair.
7. Wash your scalp once a week with a therapeutic shampoo that contains salicylic acid or tea tree oil to unclog hair follicles and reduce dandruff. Therapeutic shampoos rebalance the scalp and reduce oil production, extending the amount of time between washes.
8. Always dry your hair using a soft microfiber towel or a blowdryer on cool setting, never rubbing or wringing.
9. After washing and drying your hair, always apply a deep conditioning hair mask or protein treatment.
10. Protect your hair from damage caused by harmful UV rays by wearing a hat rated UPF 50+.